Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bounty Divers in Thailand

Bounty Divers in Thailand



Recently we took a trip to Thailand and the diving "Mecca's" of Koh Tao and Koh Phangan.

Luckily for Norfolk Island and Bounty Divers, like most things that have been built up to be wonderous and beyond belief, the mythical diving in the Gulf of Thailand is just that,
a MYTH!!!

Dont get me wrong, the diving in the Gulf of Thailand is quite good. BUT it does not hold a candle to the diving here on Norfolk Island.

Norfolk Island really does have dive sites that are world class. Other features such as minimal divers and maximum sites, amazing visibility and some of the most healthy coral reefs in the world, are just bonuses. And Bounty Divers is very lucky to be able to offer diving services on Norfolk.

During my time in Koh Phangan I was able to dive a site called Sail Rock. This is a very good dive site. A little crowded with at least 9 large dive boats on the site when I was there. However Sail Rock was a very good yard stick when comparing the Gulf of Thailand's "best dive site" against diving on Norfolk Island.

Whilst I was in Koh Tao, an island that is responsible for a major percentage of the worlds annual dive certifications, I was able to complete a number of very good courses. These included Technical diving, Emergency First Responder and Underwater Videography filming techniques, editing and post production. All of which will become valuable tools for Bounty Divers and the services that we are able to offer on Norfolk lsland.

Diving in Koh Tao is not as good as the diving in Koh Phangan, even though they are very close and very similar. And as I have mentioned repeatedly neither of them is anywhere near as good as Norfolk Island anyway.

So we have returned home to Norfolk Island now and even though my wife and kids are glad to be home, I am sure they are not as happy as I am at the moment, as I am really really really looking forward to getting on the Bounty Divers boat and getting in the water as soon as possible.

It has been a great axperience to travel to one of the most famous dive areas in the world, and I hope to have many more experiences like it. However it has made me realise the following things

- Bounty Divers has come a long way in the past 3 1/2 years since we took over, but we can always find ways to improve
- Bounty Divers is becoming a world class dive centre in its own right and we are definately on the right track
- Norfolk Island has some of the best diving in the world
- Norfolk Island has an almost unlimited potential for the diving industry, a potential that we havent even begun to realise yet

I am looking forward to more dive adventures around the world in the future and visiting more and more of the worlds most famous dive sites. But I love the fact that when all is said and done, when I come home to Norfolk Island, I have worldclass diving right here anyway.

Hope to see you here on Norfolk Island sometime soon and in the Bounty Divers office so that we can show you how good it really is here.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting observations about the diving in Thailand! It would be great to see more diving photos on this site and get a better idea of the fantastic diving around Norfolk island.

    ReplyDelete